Mounting a subwoofer in the right way is an important aspect where most people get stuck. Most drivers are unaware of how much noise the subs make when the vehicle moves. Besides, the last thing that you want is your subwoofer box sliding in the car’s truck when going uphill.
As a result, the speaker’s cone might get damaged and the wire attached to the box might become loose creating further problems with the entire audio system. So, how to secure subwoofer box in trunk?
When it comes to securing a subwoofer box in your car’s trunk, there are different ways. Typically, you can resolve the issue by placing a sound-dampening mat in your trunk. Apart from that, you can use straps and screw-on clamps for a heavy subwoofer box.
If you are experiencing rattling in your car’s trunk, probably you should take a look and secure the subwoofer box. Read on to find out more about how to secure subwoofer in trunk effectively.
What Happens When the Car Subs Move in the Trunk?
No wonder, car subs change their position whenever the vehicle applies brakes all of a sudden or run over bumps at a considerable speed. When that happens, it isn’t a good sign for your vehicle’s sound system. That’s why securing subwoofer in trunk becomes important. Below listed are some scenarios you may encounter when car subs move inside the trunk.
- Whenever a car sub changes its position frequently, the overall quality of sound gets reduced.
- No one would like to replace a sub with a cracked cone because it hit somewhere in the trunk after the subwoofer box fell over.
- If the subwoofer box moves all the time, some of its parts can scratch the interior of your car’s trunk while damaging the wires and other components.
- Because of the continuous movement of the box inside the trunk, it may damage wire connections while causing potential damage to the car’s electrical system as well. The worst part is that it can cause a short circuit or even catch fire.
Tools That You May Need To Secure Your Car’s Subwoofer Box
- Screws, probably 1 to 1.5-inches
- Plastic strips of adequate length are required to secure the box
- Bolts for fixing the box into a place
- A rope that should be long enough and strong
- Sound dampening mat
How To Properly Secure a Subwoofer Box in Your Car’s Truck
Now that you have the right tools required for the purpose, let’s discuss some of the best ways to secure the subwoofer box in the trunk.
1. Using Sound Dampening Mat
When it comes to securing a subwoofer box, the most common and simplest way is to use a special mat under the box. As such, it will prevent the movements of the heavy box. The sound-dampening mats are readily available in automotive stores. It is a carpet that comes with rubber backing.
All you have to do is place the mat under the subwoofer box and drive peacefully without worrying about the movements caused by the box. Finally, your subwoofer has got a stable surface to rest on. Besides, the chances of the box moving around because of the vibration reduce dramatically.
Moreover, these kinds of mats aren’t great at preventing the box from moving around and making noises. These mats act as a cushion between the trunk floor and the subwoofer. Because of that, the mat helps reduce vibrations and rattling in the car.
2. Using Ropes and Screws
The next best option to secure the subwoofer box is to use screws, rope, and hooks. Here is how to do it in simple steps.
- Start by fixing the hooks at the sides of the box while creating a bracket to fit on its top.
- Next, get two screws of small length and fix them on the side of the box. The screws will penetrate through the hinges positioned on the box. Make sure that they don’t go too deep inside the box.
- Place the hinges in a suitable place so that they don’t interfere with the wires. Besides, they help secure the mat or carpet if you have any.
- Allow the rope to move through the hinges and hooks. That way, it will mount the box properly.
3. By Using Strips
It is another popular method used by many people for securing subwoofer in trunk. Follow the steps and you are good to go.
- Place the subwoofer box in a position on the floor of your car’s trunk.
- Now, fix the strips on both sides of the box. As such, it will fix the box in its place firmly. Keep in mind to place the strips from top to bottom of the box.
4. By Using Wooden Plates
It’s another intuitive method that you should know. You may require wooden plates of sizes according to the dimensions of your trunk. Here is how to do it the right way.
- Start by placing the wooden plates on the floor of the vehicle’s trunk. Ensure that they are securely placed where they should be. Use screws for this purpose. You can choose 1.5-inch screws because they would secure the wooden structure.
- Take a close look at the bottom of your car to ensure that you didn’t drill through the car tank. Although chances of doing that are quite rare, it’s better to check.
- Place the wooden plates on the proper side of the trunk. If you think that the base is ready, mount the box on it. You don’t have to worry about the box moving away from its position because the wooden structure won’t allow it to move even an inch.
Things To Look For When Securing A Subwoofer Box Inside The Trunk
It is important to be careful when securing a subwoofer box in your car’s trunk. So, there are a few things that you need to take care of. The first thing is the size of the subwoofer. Make sure you buy the right one so that there are no issues when installing it in the trunk.
Buying a subwoofer that fits perfectly in the trunk is important. As such, it helps you to avoid both time and money. Besides, buying a sub that you can’t use properly is sad. Unlike a small sub, a large one will take considerable space in your trunk.
The perfect sub for your car is the one that will fit in the trunk and your preference. Because some families have many members, you need to adjust the space with your sub so that the belongings stay where they are without compromising the sound system.
To make sure that the subwoofer box stays in its place, you have to make it stable in the car’s trunk. This will prevent the box from getting damaged. Also, it will avoid any kind of unpleasant scenarios caused by scratching the box on other surfaces. The methods discussed above are effective and many people have opted for them inside their car’s trunk.
However, choosing the right method will depend on certain factors such as the weight and size of the box. When you follow these steps, you can make sure that the subwoofer box stay firm and that you enjoy music without the extra noise. Maintain caution when you are mounting the subwoofer box in the trunk.